On 05/09/2014 19:45, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

Great.

Now look at the patch below... notice a difference?
All I have is a small whitespace cleanup patch... Which corresponds to
neither its commit message nor the message in the intro email...

/D

I wished to create a cleaned up version of the previous patch (CCR patch, part 3 of 4) by basing the present patch on the original SHA (CCR patch, part 2 of 4). In theory, if I do a format-patch more than once using the same SHA (part 2 of 4), I assumed git would each time create a diff based on the original SHA (part 2 of 4) specified in format-patch. Therefore I copied the message of the later patch (CCR Patch, part 3 of 4) into this one (part 4 of 4), assuming that the diff would be relative to part 2 of 4 . But git did not handle it in the same way I wished it to do, instead basing the diff of part 3 of 4. This means that the description, meant for part 3 of 4 is not appropriate because git in fact used (3 of 4) and not (2 of 4) to base this one (4 of 4) on. So, while the point about a white space cleanup in the description is accurate, this leaves me with a right royal mess with respect to the rest of the descriptions. I am not even sure you can understand the argument above??

My great apologies and clearly a situation that I cannot solve with yet another patch. What action can I take now?
Kind regards, willem