On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> > > I don’t see Subsurface requiring libssh2. A quick git grep shows
> > > no mention. Is it possible that this is an issue with libgit2
> > > packaging on Debian?
> >
> > Looks so. But if some compile libgit with ssh and others don't,
> > it's not safer to require both?
>
> I'd prefer to understand what's going on. To me it seems packaging
> is broken for that package if it requires another package but
> doesn't have a dependency

It certainly looks like that.  Package libgit2-21 shows these
dependencies:

        Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15), libhttp-parser2.1 (>= 2.1),
                 libssh2-1 (>= 1.2.3), libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0),
                 zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)

while the corresponding -dev package lists:

        Depends: libgit2-21 (= 0.21.2-1), libz-dev, libssl-dev

libssh2-1-dev is missing from the dependency list.

Fortunately, some debian developers/maintainers should be watching
this list and react.

Still, until the problem is taken care of, the workaround is to
install libssh2-1-dev.  The patch for subsurface-configure.pri should
not be needed, but reveals the problem.

Cheers,

--
Cristian