On 28 May, 2016 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> I have been focused on other things for a while (and the why and the what
> will become public fairly soon) and decided to use that chance to figure out
> what would happen if I just stopped paying attention here for a while.
>
> Here's what I think I learned (correct me if I'm wrong)
>
> a) no one cares about Subsurface-mobile. No bug reports, no code, no
> suggestions, nothing. So I guess we should call this a failed attempt and
> abandon it - screw the 500 or so people who use it.
>
> b) Miika continues to deal with any import bug that shows up. Awesome. Your
> patches have been pushed
>
> c) there continues to be a slow crawl of features, ideas, patches for the
> planner. Those have also been pushed (someone poke me if I got something
> wrong there)
>
> d) no one cares about the dive site mess that we have. The current version in
> Subsurface 4.5.x is pretty much unusable and makes no bleeping sense.  No
> patches, some suggestions for improvement, no discussion, nothing.
>

> In summary, this project is pretty much dead. I guess it does everything the
> formerly active developers wanted? Or everyone has moved on to more fun
> things? Or had children, changed jobs, built a house, lost their job, or one
> of a number of other life events?

The greenhouse project is finally done, so now I'm down to 3 projects
working on the house. Maybe there's some time for subsurface now?

> So what should we be working on...? Should we...
>
> (1) just shut this down and move on?
> (2) move things to maintenance mode, abandon Subsurface-mobile, fix bugs in
> Subsurface whenever we find time but otherwise declare victory? It won't be
> too painful to track libdicecomputer and keep making 4.5.x releases for a
> while, I guess...
> (3) focus on Subsurface-mobile, release the iOS version, update the Android
> version and see if there is a single person besides me who is willing to
> invest time into that?
> (4) focus on Subsurface 4.6, fix the dive site management and create a list
> of prioritized features that we want to get in place?
> (5) focus on Subsurface 5.0, write a completely new UI and abandon what we
> have in 4.5?
>
> If your vote is for 3, 4, or 5 I assume that you are volunteering to carry
> some of the work that is needed to get there.
> If you don't vote, I will count that as a vote for 1.

I'd vote on 4, then 3.

My personal plans are in some sort of semi-prioritized order:

* clean up the custom serial code, get it to work for all backends.
* clobber up a download dialog in -mobile (Willem, please beat me to it =)
* clobber up a simple planner in the -mobile version
* ?
* ...
* profit!

//Anton