On 18/07/2017 19:14, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Absolutely *everybody* knows what we mean by SAC rate. And the ones
that are offended by our use of standard terminology can be offended.

It's their problem, not ours. Let's not take on their mental baggage.

                 Linus

Part of this argument is just me and who I am. I am a scientist and for effective communication, terminology is critical. Just look how he word "awesome" has totally lost its meaning in popular language: it can mean almost anything. My students have lost the meaning of the word "variation" or the verb "vary": they would say that men vary from women, not that men differ from women, so the word "variation" has lost its technical meaning. In addition, I was trained that each number one uses has an associated unit. To say that respiratory minute volume is measured in bar is just nonsensical. And we use this common-day terminology in situations where people can get hurt by miscommunication or misperception.

But clearly I am far in the minority, so I will shut my mouth on this issue.

Kind regards,

willem