> On Oct 14, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Jan Mulder <jlmul...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 14-10-17 12:59, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 08:04:03PM +0200, Jan Mulder wrote:
>>>
>>> That was a useful tip, thanks Lubomir. Not out of the woods yet but an
>>> interesting observation:
>>>
>>> Kirigami.ApplicationWindow {
>>>     id: rootItem
>>>     title: "Subsurface-mobile"
>>> }
>>>
>>> gives same problem, but
>>>
>>> ApplicationWindow {
>>>     id: rootItem
>>>     title: "Subsurface-mobile"
>>> }
>>>
>>> passes the hard exit. So, there is some relation to Kirigami.  However, all
>>> this just does not happen on Qt 5.9.1 but only on 5.9.2.
>>>
> Unfortunately, very very limited progress. I found out that 2nd code fragment
> above does not tell the whole story. Obviously, it needs an "import
> QtQuick.Controls 2.2" the get the ApplicationWindow defined. However, adding
> "import org.kde.kirigami 2.0 as Kirigami" triggers the exit on the "can't
> create window object". So, its only one input that triggers the error of an
> almost empty main.qml
>
> The big question is now: is it Kirigami or Qt/QML? Of even a combination of
> both?

Have you tried running this under strace to see if it tries to open some
library that it can't find or something?
I haven't been able to reproduce this on the desktop, only on iOS for some
reason - and I have no idea how to run strace there :-(

> I even tried to compile mobile-on-desktop against the beta of Qt 5.10.0. No
> luck there, and the exact same behavior.
>
> I am heavily tempted to call this an Qt/QML bug. This is not only related to
> this 5.9.2 problem. Some months ago, when I was trying to get the BLE for
> OSTC to work, I had an Qt/QML android only source tree. I could (Android)
> compile the app perfectly against this (and leading to a properly running
> app), but after I synced my repo to the latest Qt master and re-compiled Qt
> from source again, the Subsurface-mobile app was crashing at the very start
> (but not exactly at the "can't create window object" exit), so, at that time,
> I abandoned that source tree, assuming I did something wrong, but in
> hindsight, I might have pulled in the Qt bug. All very speculative at this
> point, but I do not like the idea of bisecting some weird Qt/QML issue
> between 5.9.1 and 5.9.2.

That may not be enough for Thiago to help us... have you had a chance to look
at Qt bugs (I sure haven't)

/D