On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn
<cristian.ionescu-idbo...@axis.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> One of the things I have been wanting to do is to get the xml and pdf
>> options working. Unless anyone else has a ready answer, I will look into
>> this during the next 2 days.
>
> I'm still having the same/similar problem when trying to build the
> documentation :(  This is an old thread, started here:
>

> http://lists.subsurface-divelog.org/pipermail/subsurface/2013-December/009399.html
>
> This is what I do:
>
>         $ make -C Documentation user-manual.text
>         make: Entering directory '.../Documentation'
>         a2x -f text user-manual.txt
>         a2x: ERROR: "xmllint" --nonet --noout --valid
> ".../Documentation/user-manual.xml"
>         returned non-zero exit status 4
>         Makefile:27: recipe for target 'user-manual.text' failed
>
> And the reason is:
>
>         $ xmllint --nonet --noout --valid ./user-manual.xml
>         ./user-manual.xml:5792: element literal: validity error : Element
> emphasis is not declared in literal list of possible children
>         /emphasis>, <emphasis>RUNNING</emphasis> AND
>
>          ^
>         ./user-manual.xml:5792: element literal: validity error : Element
> emphasis is not declared in literal list of possible children
>         /emphasis>, <emphasis>RUNNING</emphasis> AND
>
>          ^
>         ./user-manual.xml:5792: element literal: validity error : Element
> emphasis is not declared in literal list of possible children
>         /emphasis>, <emphasis>RUNNING</emphasis> AND
>
>          ^

The problem seems to be the ordering of emphasis and literal tags (+
and ' modifiers in the markdown). I just sent a pull request the
re-arranges them to produce working XML on my system.

I think we routinely only produce HTML documentation and thus this has
gone unresolved/unnoticed until now.

miika