On 2020/05/25 19:54, Berthold Stoeger wrote:
Hi Willem,

On Montag, 25. Mai 2020 17:49:57 CEST Willem Ferguson wrote:

My idea was to add the tools for dealing with sets to the toolbar at the
top of the filter panel. Something like the attached image with the set
controls grouped together. What was your conception of the number of
controls required? This image has three tools for manipulating sets, but
two of them would be complex. Firstly, the Save set control would
probably need to bring up a text box for naming the set to be saved.
Secondly, the List sets combobox showing all the saved set names would
need a right-click context menu for deleting a set and possibly for
editing a set. The number of tools should probably be minimised but on
the other hand the interface should be as intuitive as possible. What
are your thoughts?
This is in principle one of the two designs that I had in mind. The
other one would have been an extra tab for the management of the sets in
analogy to the dive-site tab (including e.g. renaming of sets).

I am not sure whether I understand the "Clear sets" button. Would it clear all
the sets? My original idea was to have a "Clear current set" button instead of
right-click.

I was also contemplating if there should be a "default" set, which can't be
deleted and is activated if the user switches to the filter.

Another question to ponder: If the user selects a set and changes the filter
constraints, is the selected set overwritten or does the user have to
explicitly save the set?

Berthold

Hi Berthold,

I am happy with whatever you feel is appropriate. The crucial question is the life expectancy of a set that has been saved. If it has a long life (maybe longer than a week or 2???) then a separate set manipulation tool may be warranted. I am not sure that a logical AND operation would be necessary when applying a filter with 2 or more sets on the dive list. An AND operation is probably best implemented *within* a single filter panel. Would this be correct?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf <http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf> for full details.