On 18 May, 2023 - Berthold Stoeger via subsurface wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many thanks for all the suggestions!
>
> So far I have tried KeePassXC, for which there is an Ubuntu package. At least
> I can log in again from my main laptop without too much of a hassle. I have
> no
> idea how any of this works, so maybe I will try the other options as well.

One really simple solution would just be to use oathtool, which also is
available as a ubuntu package.

It's just a simple cmdline tool which you can feed the shared secret and
it will spit out the totp code. Just wrap everything in a nice helper
script and it will just spit the code out for you.

I've used it quite a few times when I needed to test or script things
needing totp codes.

It kinda defeats the second-separate-factor purpuse, but it might be the
right tool sometimes. Just protect your shared secret.

Personally I use yubikeys or tpm bound secrets for important things,
depending on what and how it's supposed to be used.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin    +46702-161604