On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 02:21:09PM +0100, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> On 11/24/2009 01:42 PM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On 24 Nov 2009, at 11:20, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> as a follow up on an older thread:
> >> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-October/019939.html
> >> - we want to get the versioning sorted in 0.88 for real. So far we came
> >> up with these three options:
> >>
> >> a) The release cycle dependent one: Activities name their activity after
> >> the Sugar version they are developed against. If it was released during
> >> the 0.88 cycle and developed against 0.88, then it would be 0.88.x.
>
> Ok, I do not like that option neither. And the people that have replied,
> do not neither.
>
> > Should we also try and resolve the Fructose issue as well here? Is Fructose
> > just a random grab bag of demo activities, or is it the set of activities
> > that are dependant on a single specific release of Glucose? Right now it
> > contains a mix of both. I'd be against including Sugar version numbers in
> > activity version number (unless perhaps they fail to work in other sugar
> > releases). Activity development should be as far removed from the Glucose
> > development cycle as is feasibly possible.
> >
> > If Fructose becomes the set of Glucose dependent activities (like Browse),
> > they could be the only ones that require special versioning support
>
> Yes, good point. We should revisit the current activities in Fructose
> and think if it makes sense to keep them in Fructose. As you said, one
> point is if an activity has dependencies on the platform itself like
> Browse (Hulahop).

In mind thats wrong way, some activities have non-sugar SP dependencies
and can work fine with several SP releases, I guess its better to not add
additioanl complexity and use only one source for compatibility info -
on ASLO(moreove we have fructose activities on ASLO).

BTW for 0.88 can exclude fructose from core packages at all and let
deployers decide what should be included to deployments.

--
Aleksey