Hi Sugar developers (and Mike),

Mike Hommey maintains Debian packaging of xulrunner.

I asked him about the use of hardcoded rpath in Hulahop, which is generally a bad idea and its use is being hunted down in Debian.

He had a look at the Hulahop code and suggestions for improvements. He is kindly offering to help with this if necessary.

Please read below - and please cc him on responses (no need to cc me, I am subscribed to this list):

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 03:12:51PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:23:24PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:52:28AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:33:01AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>Hi Mike,
>>
>>I maintain python-hulahop packaging for Debian.
>>
>>This package does not strip rpath, and I am pretty sure that the
>>reason for that was some instructions provided by you.
>
>That must have been a long time ago, then.

It was Wed May 7 2008 - is that a long time in this context?

It was at the time xulrunner 1.9 was introduced to Debian.

Now that I look at the VCS history of python-hulahop, it might
actually be that it was not following your instructions but fumbled
on my own (I added chrpath and removed it again later same day, with
no reference to that web page I seem to recall reading from you).
Hm.

>>Now ftpmasters auto-rejects python.hulahop based on a lintian check
>>discovering that rpath, and I want to do the sane thing and
>>double-checking that the rpath really should be preserved, as part
>>of hiding that lintian warning.
>>
>>So question is: Do xulrunner need rpath preserved?  And if so, where
>>is the documentation for that, as I seem to have forgotten.
>
>Normally, rpath is not needed (anymore).

I tried now to strip the rpath using chrpath, and immediately the
code stops working, spewing the following error:

ImportError: libxul.so: kan ikke åbne delt objektfil: Ingen sådan fil eller
filkatalog

...translated from danish to english, it says something like this:

ImportError: libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Maybe relevant: I added +LDFLAGS += -L/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9 to the
build routines, as fix for bug#494225.

Which just does nothing, since it is /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1, now.

Could I persuade you to help investigate this issue - even if
perhaps not rooted in your package but some bug in Hulahop itself?

It seems to me the root of the problem is that python-hulahop is using
the linked glue instead of the standalone glue. I also wonder why it's
not using pyxpcom for xpcom initialization, instead of having its own
stuff in hulahop.cpp, though I don't really know what pyxpcom permits
exactly.

Anyways, it seems to me the XRE_InitEmbedding call should be replaced by
the following sequence:
GRE_GetGREPathWithProperties
XPCOMGlueStartup
XPCOMGlueLoadXULFunctions
XRE_InitEmbedding

If you need assistance with these, please bug me.

Mike