On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 01:19 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> P.S. - I might feel differently if I knew how to make D-Bus and ConsoleKit
> work
> sanely with chroots, which I care about deeply for purposes of testing.

What's the problem? I do:

  mount --bind /var/run/dbus "$ROOT/var/run/dbus"

> I know how to make the /sbin/shutdown approach work sanely with chroots.

You're probably still using an old Linux distro. The /sbin/shutdown
implementation that comes from upstart 0.6 talks to init over dbus.

Sorry to deliver such bad news, but dbus seems to be taking over the
platform. As bad as it may seem, now at least we've got a unified IPC
system with a consistent security model across many different daemons.