On 5 Nov 2010, at 16:46, Gonzalo Odiard <gonz...@laptop.org> wrote:

> Hmmm, no, with Martin's below linked patch pulse colour animation is good.
>
> The only extra thing I noted in my email was that the 1sec zoom effect is
> still not showing for anything by very simple icons (Log icon is simple
> enough, Distance is not), however the zoom effect is not showing with your
> 'skip the first update' approach either. Fixing zoom efficiency should be
> looked at as a separate issue.
>

> Is really needed the zoom?

Well it is part of the view design metaphor, ideally there would be even more
zoom effects (and fullscreen transitions) - take a look at this design
presentation from a year or so back (also available from www.sugarlabs.org):

     http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/interface/index.html

> If we can't do it in a efficient way, may be we can use another metaphor.
> What about moving the icon from the position in the home view to the screen
> center?

+1 on a translation from the point of launch, to the screen centre, but I was
hoping zoom could be fixed first as both should happen (see above movie).

> I think we must do all we can to start quickly the activities.

The loss of the zoom animation for non-trivial icons is a regression, it was
fine 2 years back with the OLPC build 767, sugar 0.82.1 and Fedora 9 (just
retested here on an XO-1).

Regards,
--Gary