Hi Simon,

On 10 Mar 2011, at 17:16, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> One of the major functionality in activities is creating and/or modifying,
> for example creating a new game in Memorize a new abacus in the Abacus
> activity and so on.
>
> I am wondering what would be a good icon to use for that. I have seen the use
> of a scissor (like editing an activity), or the gear like we use in 'view
> source'.
>
> Any other ideas? And then it would be great if we could set on one and be
> consistent in activities and use the same icon in all of them.

Thanks for raising this, I've added this topic to next weeks Design Team
meeting, I'll try and get a few mockups together before then:

        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Meetings

Some misc. thoughts regarding using the existing scissor/edit tool and
secondary palette.

Pros:

 * existing Activity edit secondary toolbars usually have only copy, paste,
sometimes also undo & redo (so there is usually plenty of UI space)
 * no need to add yet another primary toolbar widget (less complex primary UI
and/or space for other tools)
 * Sugar design model, editing is what you do during an activity to change it,
'creating new' activities should be done before an Activity begins (e.g. home
--> start new, and/or proposed Journal duplicate feature). BTW, Think it is OK
for an Activity to support clearing/erasing/reseting state (such as Paint,
Memorize), though ideally with reliable undo or versioning support to help
prevent accidental data loss.

Cons:

 * overloading an existing UI category (traditional OS users have certain
expectations for an edit menu)?
 * will folks overlook the edit sub-palette and miss the extra modification
features?
 * editing vs. customising/modifying, different enough concepts to need a new
primary category?

Mockup of Memorize using existing scissor/edit widget & toolbar:

        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Garycmartin#Memorize_Toolbar_Mockups

For those who have not seen it, here's the activity customisation design that
Walter currently has in Abacus:

<<inline: current_abacus_customisation_ui.png>>

Regards,
--Gary