On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 08.07.2011, at 08:08, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
>
>> Hi....
>>
>> Let's put this to a test!
>>
>> With all the flooding we are having in Montana this summer the clouds of
>> mosquitos are really fierce! Our family is visiting with their PCs and I
>> have a Mac.  We can try this in the next couple of days and see if it really
>> works. It says it can be barely audible. I was curious to see how low these
>> notes would be and found this interesting chart (link below). Many of the
>> instruments listed are no longer in daily use and exist mainly in museums,
>> but some, such as the bass viol and bassoon are very common. In fact, my
>> husband has his bassoon here with him in Montana!  But, I don't think he
>> wants to play a continuous low note... he has better things to do! We can
>> find an appropriate tone generator for our test.
>>
>> http://www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html
>>
>> Caryl
>
> Easy to test using an XO. In Etoys, select the "sound" category in any
> object's viewer, drag out the "play frequency of" tile, make the script
> ticking. You should hear the sound now, and you can click on the green
> down-arrow to lower the frequency:
>

> On my XO it becomes inaudible at 200 Hz using the built-in speakers. Plugging
> in good headphones it goes way below 30 Hz.
>
> - Bert -

Absolutely we should use things like this as an opportunity for kids
to do some science. (FWIW, you can use Turtle Art to generate sine
waves as well, by importing a python block)

[[0, ["start", 2.0], 0, 100, [null, 1]],
[1, ["userdefined", "pysamples/sinewave.py"], 0, 142, [0, 2, null]],
[2, ["number", 100], 58, 142, [1, null]]]

Where you set number to whatever Hz you want.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs