On 09/13/2011 11:03 PM, Markus Schlager wrote:
Hi Simon,

Thanks Markus for the feedback,

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Simon Schampijer wrote:

There have been one interesting string change in the last week: there
are two entries in the sugar.po that translate the same string
('Remove') but where the context is different. This has been marked
now using pgettext. Chris has pulled that change to Pootle and all
langs sugar.po have been refreshed. An example can be seen at [3][4].
Please give feedback if that addition was helpful to do a better
translation or if anything can be improved.

Context-information is great for translation. In this example, 'volume'
as hint was not particularly helpful to me, since this has at least two
very different meanings in German. 'clipboard' on the other hand was
clear anyway since the source-hint says something about clipboard-menu.

Maybe the text should be more verbose. How about: 'remove item from clipboard' and 'eject the external device'

One type of content-information I'd appreciate a lot would be about the
function/type of text this is: Is it e.g. a button lable, a menu entry,
a help text, ...

How would that be done, as well with msgctxt using pgettext? Or are there other ways? In general that would be a bigger effort and would need to define a few guidelines for that but can be done of course if the translator community thinks this would help a lot.

Regards,
   Simon