On 06/23/2012 08:21 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
Hi,

here a few more informations to the approach I am taken. Daniel Narvaez
asked me yesterday about it, so there might have been some questions
floating around already :)

The first part of the work is getting the shell hippo free and using GTK
widgets instead. The views have to be ported to GTKContainers and in the
toolkit we have to replace the CanvasIcon with an EventBox (for
receiving the events) that contains an IconBuffer to draw the icon
itself. We renamed that widget to EventIcon in the process. The API
stays the same, just for more clarity size has been renamed to pixel_size.

I have pushed the current state of the shell port to a temporary repo
[1] and this toolkit-gtk2 patch to a temporary repo [2] as well. So the
toolkit-gtk2 part will never really land but it is good to have it
around for making the shell port.

Once this no-hippo work is done we can run the autoconverter script
(GTK2-GTK3) and then do the cleanup for GTK+ 3. Same way as we did for
the toolkit port.

The two branches are both tracked in sugar-build as well [3].

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://git.sugarlabs.org/~erikos/sugar/erikos-shell-port
[2] http://git.sugarlabs.org/~erikos/sugar-toolkit/erikos-shell-port
[3] http://git.sugarlabs.org/~dnarvaez/sugar-build/shell-port

More writeup on the decisions taken:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/GTK3/Shell/Hippo_Removal

That should help when reading the new code.

Regards,
   Simon