On 01/28/2013 06:37 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Simon Schampijer <si...@schampijer.de> wrote:
Hey Daniel,

thanks for the writeup!

On 01/26/2013 03:27 PM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:

Hello,

the desire to be able to write activities using html has been expressed
several
times by developers. We have seen several approaches but there is not much
support for it in the core platform yet.

I and Simon have been trying to figure out how to best integrate this with
the
existing platform. Bits of code can be pulled from the sugar-build html
branch.
We don't have much of a demo yet, but I think the basic pieces of the
infrastucture are becoming clear, so I thought it would be good to try and
summarize them in an email to the list.

1 sugar-toolkit-html

* A new module.
* Independent from the native sugar API, so that html activities might be
run
    on other platforms, like Android or even inside a web browser.
* HTML equivalents of the gtk widgets. For example Toolbar and Palette.
* Per-platform (sugar-os, android, web-browser...) implementations of the
    same javascript interface to the sugar services. For example it might
    provide a datastore.save(metadata, file) method or an
    icon.get_with_colors(xo_colors)

2 sugar-http-server

* A sugar-os internal component. Other platforms might implement the
    html/javascript API without even using an http server.
* Implemented by the sugar-toolkit-html module but managed by the sugar
shell.
* Serves the activity bundles content with something like
    http://localhost:8000/org.sugarlabs.HTMLDemo/index.html.
* Exposes the sugar services API with json methods like
    http://localhost:8000/org.sugarlabs.HTMLDemo/datastore/save

As we talked about today, I was looking at node-dbus [1] in order to talk to
the DS over dbus from java script. Looks straight forward. I installed the
module (npm install node-dbus) and did a quick example based on the test in
the repo to listen on the 'Created' signal from the DS. Works fine.

I added as well an example for dbus methods, you can delete DS entries now :) http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/html-activity/

Of course, if we use nodejs we have to handle the modules packaging as
nodejs itself is rather limited and a most of the functionality is in the
modules.

There's 100s of them currently being packaged for Fedora, there's
about 50 in F-18 already, I think a lot more (maybe it just seems that
way from the build reports) in F-19.

"yum list nodejs*" will give you more details.

Perfect, that is good news. This reminds me that I should switch to F18 now...:)

Cheers,
   Simon