On 2013-04-30, at 12:54, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 April 2013 12:35, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> Will that new Collaboration API be made available to non-HTML activities,
>> too? And how will it be different from the deprecated Presence Service?
>
> No, the idea is that the public API layer will be javascript,

Of course.

> the rest being internal implementation detail.

It is indeed the implementation details I'm talking about. The Javascript API
could use an identical Python API. And that API could then be used both by
Javascript activities and other activities, too. This would simplify the
development process for all, because activity developers would not have to talk
to Telepathy directly.

You have to implement the new API anyway. The question is simply, where to put
that code. If you put it in the Sugar Shell and expose it via DBus, it will be
available to all activity developers. The Javascript API would simply be a very
thin layer that use it. OTOH, if you put that code only into the HTML activity
support, you now have created two different ways to implement collaboration in
Sugar. You will have to document separately, learn separately, maintain
separately.

- Bert -