From: sdaly...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:33:33 +0200
To: d...@lab6.com
CC: h...@unleashkids.org; sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.org;
lio...@olpc-france.org; tony_ander...@usa.net; market...@lists.sugarlabs.org;
walter.ben...@gmail.com; sanchit.bansal_u...@ashoka.edu.in;
vishalvenka...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Marketing] [Sugar-devel] Sugar on Facebook
app(Sugarizer)(sugar activities))

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Dave Crossland <d...@lab6.com> wrote:
One of the ideas of Sugar is to raise awareness about the software freedom
movement, and as such, providing the full experience within the facebook
police-state playpark is an own-goal. We should reach people where they are in
the playpark and lead them out of it.
I concur. The fb apps have an integrated browser and we could try pointing to a
web address from our fb page. We would need to test how well Sugarizer works in
their browser. I believe it's also possible to escape the fb browser and call
the device's native browser, but i don't know the details.

Smart marketing involves identifying a target with an objective, then choosing
a media channel to touch that target. It's tempting to go the other way around
and say "facebook is a heavyweight channel, so let's concentrate there, and
everybody likes games, so let's put up a game", but for a workable strategy we
need to first identify the target and objective, verify the target's presence
in media channels (facebook or others), choose the best channel(s), then tailor
the message to the target to achieve the objective. Facebook has massive
penetration and it's likely many people in our target groups will be there. So
we could certainly have separate parallel facebook campaigns for recruitment
(volunteers), donors (resources), and teachers (adopters, prescriptors). To
reach teachers, we could decide to highlight the pedagogical qualities of some
of our Activities (Turtle Blocks, eToys), or we could prefer to present the
Sugar interface. In the first case a standalone facebook app could be a good
solution. In the second case a link to a Sugarizer instance would probably make
more sense. In both cases there should be a call to action to invite teachers
to learn more about the platform and its Activities.

Sean.