On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 08:07 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> But RHEL 5 is still the latest  RedHat production release. It's gotten
> quite old, I admit, and am eagerly awaiting RHEL 6. But we've seen
> similar nuttiness with Subversion on both RHEL 5 and especially on
> RHEL 4. If you want people in business/production environments to use
> a tool, then it helps if it will compile there.

You are telling this to me? :-)
You'd rather explain this to VLC developers.

> In fact, the Subversion .spec file has some useful configuration
> differences for RHEL 4 and RHEL 5. Perhaps the VLC .spec could do
> something differently for RHEL 5?

No. Unless you want a command-line interface only. Which is probably
worse than 0.9.9a.

> One thinig people do is build a separate, slightly different named
> package. For example, "gcc-4.x" is released in parallel with gcc-3.x
> with the name "gcc4-4.x".

It is impossible to make a parallel-installable version of qt4. At least
not without help from Redhat.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev