On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Grant Street wrote:

I know this may be nontrivial but I'm happy to help.

I'm in the process of creating a custom ffmpeg based on 0.6.1 but there are a few dependancies that have to be updated.

The three main ones I've found so far are
libvorbis ( I was able to get a newer version from atrpms)
libtheora ( I was able to get a newer version from atrpms)
x264 ( the sticky one)

x264 has a library libx264.so.68 that is required by mplayer, libquicktime, vlc and of course ffmpeg.

I can't compile ffmpeg 0.6.1 because the header file in /usr/include/x264.h is not compatible. I can't install a newly created x264-devel rpm because it requires a new x264 which can't be updated because the libx264.so.68 is required ....

So before I go through uninstalling vlc,mplayer, libquicktime, ffmpeg and recompiling them all, I was wondering if I could help you guys, talk about caveats or should I go it alone.

I am planning to do the same, in fact I have been delaying this for RHEL6 as it impacts RHEL5 and RHEL4 too.

In the past the hard problem was to find a combination of libraries that works for everything (and hopefully also builds for older distributions). It feels like throwing stuff in your christmas tree, shaking it and collecting what fell off, and repeat a few times.

Unfortunately the whole process could take hours and it would have been much easier if eg. we had compatibility libraries for some of the pieces.

PS I still regret that Fedora never made a good standard for library packages like PLD and Mandrake had. Using the soname and packaging libraries _always_ separate to other things.

--
-- dag wieers, d...@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, i...@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/