Hi,

first a background-information for my question: we are using SUMO at TESIS GmbH
for Co-Simulation with our tool DYNA4 which includes a high-fidelity vehicle
model (MBS axles, sensors, etc.) and our 3D animation. We’re very impressed
with the possibilities SUMO offers, because we can easily create complex
traffic scenarios for ADAS/AD development.

We’re using the sublane model usually, mostly because of the non-instantaneous
lane changes and the more realistic behavior of mixed car/bike lanes. However,
what causes some trouble for us is the lateral movement of vehicles at low (or
no) speeds, e.g. in front of red traffic lights or when dissolving a queue on a
highway. It would be great, if there was a parameter which defines a threshold
for longitudinal speed below which no lateral movement is possible. I know it’s
a special request for more realistic vehicle movement, but I do believe it also
has an impact on queue length / dissolving times, which are relevant for
traffic engineering related tasks. Would this be possible to implement without
major interference with other parameters and/or problems with interconnection
of car-following model and lane-change model?

Thanks

Jakob