Hello,
during the holiday seasons, responses may take longer.
In the scenario under discussion, the junctions  beyond the intersection
must be modeled with zipper type to achieve the correct lane-choice ahead
of the intersection (as you yourself noticed).
I suspect that there is a bug in the interaction of the action-step model
with zipper junctions that leads to the observed collisions. It may take
some time until this is fixed.
(tracked at https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/4330)

One possible work-around for the scenario would be to shorten the routes so
they end just before the zipper junction.
This will preserve all relevant traffic at the intersection, prevent
adverse effects on lane choice as well as circumvent the collisions.

regards,
Jakob