Hello,
- the size restriction is outdated (now removed from the wiki)
- if your image is a .tif file with geo information (geotiff) and your
network is also geo-referenced, then it will be placed automatically in the
correct position
- improving the decal placement-ui would be great. Unfortunately we did not
yet find the time to implement our ideas (note the rather low issue numbers)
https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/1431
https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/1627
https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/1714

patches are always welcome (-: