I can confirm that the latest release comes without GDAL so the problem is
on our end (https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/4626).
As a remedy you can either
- build sumo from source or
- download 0.32.0 and use it for the initial network import:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sumo/files/sumo/version%200.32.0/sumo-src-0.32.0.zip/download

regards,
Jakob