Hello,
1) cars only wait within the intersection under specific conditions:
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Intersections#Waiting_Within_the_Intersection
2) E2 detectors may cover multiple lanes if the given attributes do not
find on a single lane. Please refer to
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Output/Lanearea_Detectors_(E2)#Anchoring_lane_and_length
regards,
Jakob