In many of my simulations it seems that gridlock is worse than it needs to
be (and probably worse than in real life) because often vehicles stop at an
intersection and wait much longer than necessary even though there is an
empty outgoing lane available to them. For example, in the attached
picture, cars coming from the top are waiting an excessively long time to
turn to their right (our left) even though there are outgoing lanes open to
them.

The intersections are of type priority, and all the roads are the equal
priority.

I hope the allowed turns and the cars' turning signals are sufficiently
visible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich Tasgal