Generally, you can configure lengths and positions independent of each
other (this can happen every time, you manually set the edge length
attribute).
Also, while junctions do have a reference location, they also have a shape
and traversing them is associated with a length value that must be
considered in addition to the edge lengths.
For a simple abstract network, you may activate junction option
"no-internal-links" (F10) which ignores the junction shape and makes
computed edge lengths equal to the distance between junction positions.