Daniel Roth answered this query:

>> My interest: a digital sundial.  Is such a thing possible with Moire
>> gratings?

>Yes! [EMAIL PROTECTED] has developed such a kind of
>sundial.

I'd like to add that Robert Kellog of Rockville, Maryland has also
designed (independently to my knowledge) a similar sundial, and showed
versions of it to those attending the North American Sundial Society's
last two meetings.  An early description appeared in the NASS journal,
The Compendium, 2 (1995): 4-10.  He began to offer it for sale in the Dec.
1996 issue.

For more information on his design, which he has patented, I suggest
people contact him at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sara Schechner Genuth
NASS Secretary

Sara Schechner Genuth, Ph.D.

Gnomon Research                    Tel/Fax: (301) 593-2626
Customized Curatorial Services          Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1142 Loxford Terrace
Silver Spring, MD 20901

Center for History of Physics           Tel: (301) 209-3166
American Institute of Physics           Fax: (301) 209-0882
One Physics Ellipse                          Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
College Park, MD 20740

National Museum of American History          Tel: (202) 357-2216
Room 1040, MRC 605                                Fax: (202) 786-2851
Smithsonian Institution                      Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Washington, D.C. 20560