George McDowell writes:

> Thus, the sense of the sextet is; In summer, when the sun is hot and
> burns the skin, turn your back to it, but, in winter, when you are cold,
> SHOULD you happen to stand tall and turn your face to the warm and
> comforting sun, you will be warmed, but you will miss out on the process
> [explained in the next sextet] about which you will want to hear.

I can almost accept this.  The three lines devoted to the winter seem
excessive in terms of instructions; if, on the other hand, they are a
poetic digression, then the intended content may be more
meteorological than horological.  What still wouldn't make sense is
the sixth line, which suggests that the second sextet has something to
do with turning your face to the sun in winter.  There is no sign in
the text of George's "then you will be warmed, but you will miss out
on the process".  Maybe the woodcutter didn't have room for everything
and abridged the text.  This thesis would be supported by the fact
that every couplet rhymes exactly except "kern/hoern".

Art Carlson