"fer j. de vries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On this list many is said about the equation of time, the precession and
> so on in relation to the milennium clock.
> And in the quoted mail is said the clock should be accurate to the
> minute in 10,000 years.
> Is this possible at all?
>
> Think of the decrease of the earth rotation.
> This affect, or at least a part of it, isn't predictable.
> To synchronize the atomic clocks to the civil time, which still is based
> on suntime, leap seconds have to be added.
> These leap seconds can't be predicted precisely.
> So at this time it is unknown how many will be needed in the coming
> 10,000 years. It will be many more then 60 I think.
> And this correction will be needed to synchronize the milennium clock.

I assume that leap seconds will be added as needed so that in
Greenwich averaged over a year noon clock time agrees with noon sun
time.  The Millennium Clock will be synchronized to mean sun time.  In
this case there will be no drift.  A problem doesn't develop until the
day is so much out of synch with the clock mechanism that the error
can accumulate during a long period of cloudy weather to a half-swing
of the pendulum.  I suspect this will take much longer than 10,000
years (though I have been proven wrong in my suspicions on other
topics in this list).  Future generations can fine tune the clock for
this eventuality by lengthening the pendulum a tiny bit.

Art Carlson