[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>     Could someone help me solve for declination of the sun or latitude
> from the equation for altitude:
>
> sin(Alt)=sin(dec)*sin(lat) + cos(dec)*cos(lat)*cos(local hour angle)
>
> I would like to know how this is solved as much as just knowing the
> answer.

You want to add a sine wave and and a cosine wave with different
amplitudes.  The result will be a sine wave with a phase shift.  Use
the trig identity:

   sin(a+b) = sin(a)*cos(b) + cos(a)*sin(b)

My "a" will be your "dec".  My "b" can be found from the ratio of the
coefficients:

            coefficient of cos(a)   cos(lat)*cos(local hour angle)
   tan(b) = --------------------- = ------------------------------
            coefficient of sin(a)   sin(lat)

We have to multiply both sides of your equation by

                     2                                     2  -1/2
   c = [ ( sin(lat) )  + ( cos(lat)*cos(local hour angle) )  ]

so that the sum of the coefficients, cos(b)^2 + sin(b)^2, is unity.
Then we have:

   sin(a+b) = c*sin(Alt)

Written out (nearly) in full:

   dec = -arctan( cot(lat)*cos(local hour angle) ) + arcsin( c*sin(Alt) )

[Disclaimer: Don't believe it or use it until you or someone else has
checked it.]

--Art Carlson--

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ipp.mpg.de/~Arthur.Carlson/home.html