Dear Friends,

A correction and a suggestion.

1) In a previous post I offered:

"The surface of the hand is intended to be parallel to the equator at noon
and rotate about the zenith throughout the day."

I meant to say "parallel to the polar axis".

>From a practical standpoint this makes more sense. At my low latitude I
begin to get shadows on my fingers, and in reasonably accurate positions.

2) In the woodcut the hand is shown facing toward the viewer of the woodcut.
I suggest that this is for illustrative purposes and in use it should face
directly at the time-seeker, and thus the sun.

The correct orientation of the gnomon is still unclear, but it could be
determined empirically.  This is a very personal sundial, and one simply has
to make it work for himself.

Best,

Bob Terwilliger