Hello Pietro,

        In France Mean Solar Time was introduced in many
steps.
First, as in other countries at the turn of 19th
century, it was decided in 1816 that the mean
time shown by clocks would be the only official
time in use. But, of course, as there was no
practical way of transmission, it remained a
local time (At the end of 18th century there were
some attempts to trasmit time through the Chappe
telegraph).
        On the 14 march 1891 the mean time of Paris
(actually the civil time) became the legal time
for France. By then the electrical telegraph was
an easy and practical mean to broadcast time
signals.
        Finally on 9 march 1911 France adopted civil
time of Greenwich meridian as legal time. More
exactly it was"the civil time of Paris delayed by
9m21s". One of the main reason for that change
was the radio broadcast of time signals from the
Tour Eiffel begun in 1910. That definition of
legal time remained so until 1978 when UTC became
the basis for legal time.

Best regards

Jean-Paul Cornec
Lannion
FRANCE
48°44'24" N  -  3°27'26"W

----------
> De : Piero Ranfagni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> A : sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
> Objet : Solar mean time
> Date : lundi 30 mars 1998 07:54
>
> hello all,
>
> I have a question for you. Do you know when
Mean Solar Time was
> introduced in every country ? Have you a copy
of the official documents
> used by the Governments to introduce Solar Mean
time ?
> Here attached you find the italian official
documents that introduced
> three mean solar times in 1863 and an unified
mean solar time in 1893.
> I'm very curious to know which country, in the
last century, was the
> first to use mean solar time in civil life.
> I'm waiting a lot of interesting replies from
you, so thank you in