> There are free raytracing packages available that allow you to
> describe a 3-dimensional object and render an image of it with
> light sources placed at will.  Has anybody used these to simulate
> sundials?  Seems like it should work.

Yes, I tried it with POVRAY. I defined a stone and a long cylinder as the
shadow caster in this ray tracing software. The necessary POV-files were
generated by a program calculating suns azimuth and elevation to put the
light source in the correct direction. The small movie I generated shows
the figure 8 line "painted" by the shadow through one year for the same
mean time each day. I think this is of great educational interest but so
far I had no time to make more movies (including the numbers, lines and so
on on a sundial).

- Daniel Roth