Hello all

To my surprise this time I heard more from the silence of others than
from
the advices.

Chris Lusby gave me a very good and practical example on how to
see what happens when I build a certain dial with a 20km-long gnomon.
Nevertheless, I've had a small engineering problem in building it.
Something
easy to overcome, like several truckloads of dollars and a few years
of hard work. Of course, these difficulties will not prevent me from
builing it! No, mot me!   ;-)

Back to seriousness.

I now think my mistake was quite simple (as it was to be expected).
Basically
it was a matter of how to measure and express the declination of a wall.

I had understood -- I mean, misunderstood -- that a declination was to
be measured for each wall against its meridian if facing North or South;

or against its East-West line, if facing East or West.

In summary, I was calculating a sundial for a declination of, say, 20
when
it was in fact 70 or 110. Once I fixed that and measured the angles
of declination against the meridian for every face things started
making sense and I got three more handsomely consistent dials. At
least on the paper (since I am travelling I have not had the
opportunity to check them with a working model).

And I even know where my misunderstanding came from. Albert Waugh's
notation for a declining sundial is "we would say this wall declines
S 24 E, which means that it faces somewhat toward the south, but has
been twisted around toward the east through an angle of 24"
And he goes on to refer to "N 24 W", S 24 E" and other declination.

>From that I inferred (wrongly) that, say a "E 20 N" was plausible.
So I was using a declination of 20 when in fact I should be using 70.
It would never work, would it?

When I say this is Waugh's notation I also presume it is a common
notation but since I don't have many books about sundialling
I don't know if other authors follow the same convention.

I must presume I "invented" the "E 20 N" and "W 20 S"  dial
and fell in my all trap!

I was so mislead by my understanding of how declination was
to be measure and used, that when Fer J. de Vries corrected me
saying

>  Do yoy mean a vertcal dial facing north east? Dial N 20 E ?
>  You wrote E 20 N .
>  For a vertical dial N 20 E :
>  the inclination of the plane is 90 degrees and the declination -160
> degrees.

I could not understand what he was saying! If he had used less tact with

me, perhaps saying "there isn't such a thing as "E 20 N", I could
have learned more quickly. Anyway, I think he is too educated to
say it.

Before finishing this message that is already too long, let me add
one more fact that helped to keep me mystified for much
longer that it should: the first task I faced was to calculate
the N 20 E dial. It worked wonderfully in the first try. When
I was in trouble with the other faces I recalcuted it several
times and it always worked. I also drew it using the
graphical method and it worked the same way. That gave
me confidence to apply the formulae the way I was using
them. Unfortunately it also made me believe I was
calculating the declination in a proper manner.

Alas, after all I am a human being. Not only that. As evidence
shows, a dumb one!

Thank you guys from trying to help me with your silence.
I am sure most of you that did not try to help me were
just avoiding to embarass me.

Some how it worked as a maieutical teaching.

- fernando

--
Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas Abertos
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br