Peter Mayer wrote:

> On 11/11/98 Greg Milsom wrote,
> >Today I learned that one of the reasons my new dial was not as exact as
> >I had hoped was because the magnetic variation I was using to align the
> >dial was several years old and that magnetic variation does in fact
> >change over time.

You can get precise magnetic declination from several sites in the Internet.In
the end of this message I put a message from Tom McHugh that
points toward geomag, a DOS-based program that calculates the
magnetic declination for several years, any coordenates.

I think among the the URLs I used are: http://geomag.usgs.gov/

On the other hand, I don't think I would use a magnetic compass
to orient a sundial. I think it is too error prone. I would use the
sun itself instead.

I don't know your coordenates and I can not get any hints from your
e-mail address (since it is not based on the ISO (country) schema).
If you are in the Northen Hemisphere, this is a good season to
find the North/South line using the sun since it is now approaching the
tropic in the Southern Hemisphere (Capricorn) and it moon shadow
in the Northen Hemisphere is quite long.

Here is what I would do: use Luke's sun calculator to find
the transit time at your longitude.http://www.gcstudio.com/suncalc.html

Put a short, vertical gnomon. Make sure it is really vertical.
With a precise watch mark the shadow at transit time. The
sun will be due South, the shadow points towards the North.

> Dear Greg,
>         It does change, alas.  A while ago I created an Excel spreadsheet,
> based on the equations in Meus' book which seemed to get correct answers.
> I only set it up to calculate single days, but that could be modified.
> Since it was created solely for my own amusement, it comes with little or
> no documentation, but if you want to play with it, let me know (and what
> encoding standard your e-mail browser uses) and I can try to send it to
> you.

Peter

I am interested in this Excel Spreadsheet. I am right now implementing
fer j. de vries' algorithms (http://iaehv.nl/users/ferdv/definit.htm). One of
the
problems I have is checking every step.
So, a spreadsheet like your may be useful for me to check the results of
my program.

>         Peter Mayer

> Peter Mayer                 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Politics Department         | 'phone:+61.8 8303 5606/5610
> University of Adelaide      | FAX: (+61.8) 8303 3446
> Adelaide, SA 5005           | Time Zone: GMT +9.5 hrs (April-October)
> AUSTRALIA                   |            GMT +10.5 hrs(November-March)

            Fw: Fw: Magnetic North Pole