John,

Yes, NASA did use such a device on the moon - at least that's my
understanding of how it worked.  When I saw that item back in the '70s I
wrote to N. Armstrong about it and he was kind enough to send me a response
along with a small amount of info on the device.  At the moment I can't
find any of the details because, after seaching around in my files for the
letter I finally found the note to myself that I have transferred it to my
safe deposit box for safekeeping.  If I get a chance to visit the bank in
the next month or so, I'll recover it.

If you check with Woody Sullivan at the University of Washington
([EMAIL PROTECTED]), he might be able to tell you about possible
plans for a somewhat more sophisticated sundial on an upcoming Mars
mission.

Fred Sawyer