The Babylonians developed their sexagesimal degree system in about 300 BC.
(Their sexagesimal number system is much older.)  It was used for
astronomical tables at that time. The circle was first divided into sixths,
and these were divided by sixty into degrees, thus, our 130 degrees would
be (2 10), or 2 sixths plus 10 sixtieths of a sixth.

The sixth is approximately equal to our present radian, which might have
been why it was chosen; it is also easy to divide a circle into sixths by
marking off radius-length chords.

It is easier to determine _that_ something was done than _why_ it was done
-- even today.  As the saying goes, "There are good reasons and then there
are real reasons."

For much more on Babylonian mathematics and astronomy see the writings of
Otto Neugebauer.

Gordon