I received so many great responces to my questions since joining this
list...thanks a lot to everyone.
I have many more questions but will try to limit them to one at a time.
Is there a general rule-of-thumb as to gnomon height (or ratio to
base)?  I am constructing a horizontal sundial that is 9 inches square
and am trying to figure out how tall the gnomon should be. Please keep
in mind that I am new and there are still many vocabulary words and math
formulas that I am not real fimilar with.  Thanks.
--

Fiddler's Green
We Design and Install Renewable Energy Systems