An invaluable aid to understanding Chaucer's astrolabe treatise is:

North, John D., "Chaucer's Universe", Clarendon Press, Oxford (1988).

Chaucer's treatise assumes the reader is familiar with 14th century
cosmology, an assumption that is no longer valid, particularly in the
astrological conventions.  The first half of 'Chaucer's Universe' has an
overview of medieval cosmology that is interesting in and of itself, and
absolutely required to understand the text of the astrolabe treatise.  The
second part is concerned with the astronomical content of "The Canterbury
Tales".

In addition, it is useful to have parts of 'Horoscopes and History', also by
North, which explains the various astrological 'house' conventions.  The
method used by Chaucer is not the one popularized by Regiomantanus that
appeared on many astrolabes.

Diligent study of these three sources provides a wonderful opportunity for
getting a feel for the medieval mind and will open many doors for the study
of the history of astronomy.  Be advised, however, that it is not easy going
and commitment is needed to wade through it.

Another source for a more readable Chaucer text is Skeats' edition, from the
late 19th century.  North is better.

Best regards,

Jim

James E. Morrison