On 29 May 1998, Arthur Carlson wrote:

> Anton Reynecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > A spot of sunlight (about a foot in diameter) shining through a hole in
> > the roof, onto the middle of an epitaph in the centre of this  monument,
> > at exactly 12 'o clock (Standard time) on December 16, every year, to
> > commemorate a certain event in history.  On the other days of the year,
> > the sunlight does not enter the monument at all.
>
> This is not possible.  In the first place, the sun is in exactly the
> same place in the sky at 11:55 on Dec 26 as it is at 12:00 on Dec 16,
> so these times cannot be distinguished in principle.  The finite size

This conversation reminded me of a claim made for the Box Tunnel on the
Great Western Railway, England. It is said that on one day of the year the
sun can shine through the tunnel. It is also said that the day on which this
happens is Isambard Kingdom Brunel's birthday. He was the guy that
designed and built the tunnel.

Is this story apocraphal, or is there some truth in it? Does anyone know?

Cheers

Keith

Keith Manison                               Phone (876)927-2148
Director, Information Systems Unit          Fax   (876)927-0997
University of the West Indies               Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica W.I.