At 07:55 AM 1/13/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Mike:
>
>Could you explain the process you have been using? Perhaps you could post it
>for all to read.
>I've been looking for a process to photo-transfer onto brass and other
>material.
>
>Thanks
>Dave Gordon
>33º 39.6' N    118º 04' W

There are a number of ways one can do it. I spray a brass plate (cleaned
with steel wool and de-greased) with a photoresist I buy from an electronics
company. They use it for making PCBs. After drying thoroughly, baking etc. I
cover it with the sundial face design on an acetate film (I do my designs on
a computer using CorelDraw 3.0 and print them on acetate using a laser
printer).

I expose the plate using black UV light and wash away the exposed resist
with a developing agent which I buy from the same company (I believe it is a
diluted NaOH solution). Then I etch the exposed brass using Ferric Chloride
(you guessed, same company!). Then I apply a patina-type process to the
etched brass depending on the effect I want - sometimes green, sometimes blue.

It sounds simple, but it is not and misses are as frequent as hits. I put
this process together from several sources - mainly books on knife-making
and Tim McCreights metalworking and jewellery instruction books as well as
the literature put out by the company who makes the photoresist (M. G.
Chemicals Ltd of Brampton, Ontario and Surrey, B.C.)

I shall try to get my kids to scan some of the photographs of my dials and
attach them to my next posting to give you an idea what the final result
looks like.

Mike Koblic,
Quesnel BC