Hello Arthur .

In the last cloudy weekend I' ve studied also the inverse problem :
given a hyperbola or at least 5 points find the foci and asymptotes.
I've got a simple solution in the particular case that among these points
there is a vertex .
The solution is based on this nice theorem valid for all conics:
" the middle points of all parallel diameters of a conic lie on a straight
line …."
A diameter is defined to be that segment generated by two intersections of a
straight line with the conic, therefore the parallel diameters are those
generated by a set of parallel straight lines.
"…if the conic is a hyperbola or an ellipse the straight line joining the
middle points of the diameters crosses its simmetry centre ", which is , for
the hyperbola , the intersection of the two asymptotes half way between the
two vertexes. That's all about the theory .
Hereafter I'll apply all that to find foci and asymptotes given at least 5
points got by shadow observation along several hours .  The procedure is
very easy to be applied and self-explaining.

1) Draw a however directed set of parallel straight lines on the wall ( two
would be sufficient, but we don't know the exact position of the final
hyperbola …. ).
2) In the morning , when the point of the gnomon's shadow crosses the
straight lines mark these points A, B, C … on the  wall .
3) Mark the point V of the shadow in the instant of your local noon : this
is a vertex of the hyperbola.
4 ) Repeat instructions 2) in the afternoon , so that we mark the
corresponding points …., C', B', A'
5) Find the middle points on the segments AA' , BB' , CC' …. and  draw the
straight line joining them.
6) Draw the straight line joining the base of the gnomon and the vertex of
the hyperbola : this is a simmetry axis of the hyperbola , containing also
the foci. The other axis is perpendicular in V.
7) The intersection  S of the two straight lines drawn in 5) and 6) is the
simmetry centre of the hyperbola
8) Measure the distance SV : this is the value of the parameter a of the
hyperbola
9) Draw the perpendicular segment from a whatever marked point , say A , to
the simmetry axis and mark the intersection point P.
10) Measure the length Y of the segment AP.
11) Measure the length X of the segment SP.
12 Calculate the parameter b from the hyperbola equation (X^2/ a^2)-(Y^2/
b^2) = 1
13) Calculate c = (a^2+b^2)^1/2, which is the distance of the two foci from
S on the simmetry axis.
14)Draw the segment HK of length 2b perpendicular to the simmetry axis in V,
in such way that V results its middle point.
15)The two straight lines containing the segments SH and SK are the
asymptotes of the hyperbola.

That's all.
I believe that this method could be useful.
Does it fit your needs ?

Best Regards

Alberto Nicelli
Italy (45,5 N ; 7,8 E)