Bill and Gordon,

SNIP 1 -

>ATM - Book One,  ("Amateur Telescope Making"), A G. Ingalls, Ed.,
>Scientific American Press, may be the book you remember using.
>
>You can also find instructions in older editions (into the 1950s,)
>of the "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics,"  Chemical Rubber
>Publishing Co..
>
>Good Luck with it,
>
>Bill

SNIP 2 -

>Having looked up silvering in Amateur Telescope Making, Book 1,
>and the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (35th edn.) I returned
>to my computer to find that Bill Maddux had beat me to it.
>
>The latter reference recommends the Rochelle salts process
>(instead of Brashear's, which uses sugar as a reducing agent) as
>being slower and better for making half-silvered mirrors.
>It describes how to make half-silvered mirrors using it.

> Gordon T. Uber, 3790 El Camino Real, Suite 142

                Many thanks for the pointers which I will request through my
local library service.  After all these years I can't be sure that this is the
book I used but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Book 1 of a series.  In any event I
can now solve my problem with a choice of methods

Thanks again

Tony

    \                      **         *******
    \\                     **         **
     \\                    **         *******
     *\\                   **              **
      *\\                  *******    *******
      **\\
      ***\\           Tony Moss, Lindisfarne Sundials
     *****\\          43, Windsor Gardens, Bedlington,
    *******\\        Northumberland, England, NE22 5SY,
  **********\\        55°  07'  45" N    1° 35' 38" W
                         Tel/FAX +1670 823232

Horizontal, Vertical, Declining, Analemmatic & Capuchin
Sundials individually made in solid engraving brass.
Professional-quality Dialling Scales, 'engine-divided'
meridian layout instrument with software.
Analemmatic dial plots - any size for any latitude.