Dear Dr. Carlson,

>Have you considered replacing your analemmic cut-out with a solid of
>revolution?  It simplifies the manufacturing and operation of the
>dial, but it does introduce errors of up to 1 min 30 sec because the
>exact analemma is "tilted".  This type of dial was apparently invented
>by a man named Bernhardt.  I independently reinvented it, but that
>doesn't count.  :(

It is possible to use two half figures of revolution, one for the vernal
half of the tropical year, the other for the autumnal.  I.e., make two
lathe turnings, divide them bilaterally and reassort, pairing the
enantiomorphic halves.  (You get material for two gnomons, one to
use, one to spoil.)  You mount this "optical cam" with the division
plane declined from the vertical, and offset laterally according to which
side's shadow is to be used for reading.  Rotate it 180 degrees
about the polar direction at each solstice.

I don't know who first did this, but I've seen a published description
some years ago, perhaps in "SKY & TTELESCOPE."

Bill Maddux

P.s. I independently reinvented this asymmetric dodge, but I too was
anticipated, and my invention doesn't count either.  : <