> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > ...  In my school we just has our Arab
> > students out for very holy days,  our Greek Orthodox students observe
> > Easter April 19, and my Unitarian friends  take "spring break".
>
> I would have expected that the Orthodox churches define Easter in the
> same way as the Western churches, except that they use the Julian
> calendar.  It seems that would make the Orthodox Easter on average 13
> days later than the Western Eastern, but in any given year it would be
> either coincident or one month later.  How did it end up one week
> later this year?  Do they calculate the full moon differently as well?
>
> --Art Carlson--

Together with the Gregorian calendar also a new rule for calculating the date of
Easter was introduced. Please note that in both Julian and Gregorian calendars
the full moon is calculated not according to the real moon, but with respect to
a fictitious moon. I guess the difference comes from the way the moon is
defined. However, I am not an expert in this. I will try to find out with the
help of the HASTRO-L discussion group how the date of Easter is calculated by
the Orthodox churches.

Wolfgang Dick