Roger Bailey wrote:

> I tried your Shadow Sharpener test today and was amazed at the result.

Me, too! It was easy, just using the shadows falling on my desk. My pinhole
was made by sticking a paper clip through a Post-It, which I stuck to the
edge of a clip board on my window sill. The gnomon was first a seam down the
middle of the window, then I changed to another Post-It stuck to the window
so I could adjust the width of the shadow. With the image of the gnomon a
bit smaller than the image of the sun, I watched the brightness of the spots
on each side where the sun was shining through. There was only about a two
second interval when they looked balanced. That means even a quick and dirty
set-up can yield an accuracy approaching +/- 1 sec! (I am in San Diego near
midday, so the shadows may be running a bit faster than usual.)

--Art Carlson