Dear gnomonists and experts all,

I've just put up a page -- no drawings, maps or figures yet -- on the
Horologium Augusti, the great sundial set up by Augustus in Rome using an
Egyptian obelisk as a gnomon: as viewed by Samuel Platner, the 1929 author
of a classic archaeological reference work, the Topography of Ancient Rome.

I felt it necessary to comment on Platner's estimate of the size of the
pavement required for the dial face; and although I seem to get a
reasonable result, still have lingering fears I may have got my equations
wrong. (I am by no means an expert in astronomy.)

Would those of you so *inclined* be so good as to check my page and let me
know what you think? It is at
<http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roma
n/.Texts/secondary/PLATOP/Obeliscus_Augusti.html>
and the note in question is the blue dot at this (even longer) direct local
link:
<http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roma
n/.Texts/secondary/PLATOP/Obeliscus_Augusti.html#refB>

If those URLs are indigestible BTW to this e-mail message, the Horologium
page can be reached from the homepage of LacusCurtius (my signature below),
by clicking on the "Platner" link; then, on the Platner index page, on
"Obeliscus Augusti".

Thanks in advance for any and all help (and please have no fear of finding
me easily offended by what will after all be my own ignorance).

Bill Thayer

LacusCurtius
http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman