Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know the name the device described below?

It looks like a glass sphere held in the center of a small equatorial
sundial.   The image of the sun focuses to a point at some short
distance away from the surface of the glass sphere.  Held in place
at this distance away from the glass and following the curve of
the sphere is a piece of waxpaper against a dark background.
When the sun shines, the waxpaper is scorched. When the sun
is behind the clouds, it is not scorched. The result is a recording of the
amount of sunshine seen at that location on that day.

At least this is how it appears to me from a picture I have seen.

Anybody have a name and possibly a source to buy one?

Thanks,

Chuck.